• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Stressful dreams.

tommy34

Bluelighter
I'm sorry about all the Topics I've started recently but I am on a mission to find answers.

So last night I was alone in the house which is usually cool but I have a very down day yesterday an was alone all day. I've been house sitting for almost 2 weeks now so I am pretty comfortable in the house.

It was about 3am an I thought I was awake, I saw the door of the room open an someone walk in. I was absolutely terrified an tried to move or talk but my body was frozen. I tried so hard to make a sound or move but it just wasn't happening until I woke up an realized it was just a dream. This isn't the first time this has happened, I've been in my own room before an has similar sorts of dreams an paralysis. Can anyone shed some light on the situation please?

I have these kind of dreams sometimes too. I know what you mean by stressful, I feel horrible when I have dreams like that among others that just give me a hard time.

It's called sleep paralysis, it's not that uncommon I know who a few people who've had it before. As far as I know (which isn't that much) it's triggered by high levels of anxiety.

I've had stressful/fucked up dreams and sleep paralysis and they both happened when I was having A LOT of anxiety in my life.

My gf has similar experiences a lot. It's freaky as hell. She starts trying to fight off imaginary people and saying scary stuff to people who aren't there.

I don't usually remember dreams but when I do they're very boring. Like doing grocery shopping. Lately though, I've been remembering my dreams and they're very dark. They feel like The Ring video sequence. I don't like.

It was about 3am an I thought I was awake, I saw the door of the room open an someone walk in. I was absolutely terrified an tried to move or talk but my body was frozen. I tried so hard to make a sound or move but it just wasn't happening until I woke up an realized it was just a dream. This isn't the first time this has happened, I've been in my own room before an has similar sorts of dreams an paralysis. Can anyone shed some light on the situation please?

Yep, this is classic sleep paralysis. I suffer from it fairly frequently (although I haven't had it for about 4 months).

It can be terrifying at the time, but it's important to note that it cannot harm you (even though sometimes it might feel like you're dying or going crazy or something). It is correlated with high levels of stress in one's waking life, and some substances can induce sleep paralysis in some people. Are you using any drugs at the moment?

I started having sleep paralysis at 8/9 years old I would say. It got way worse when I was about 16 due to an extremely high stress living situation, to say the least. I had it almost every time before I woke up, and started to have it right when I fell asleep as well. Due to the living situation and the extreme sleep paraylsis I rarely slept for more than 30 minutes at a time.
I still get it maybe 2-3 times per week but it is better. No matter how much I know it's not harmful I still freak most of the time and can't get back to sleep most of the time when I have it. Part of it may be that not only is it scary in and of itself, but it triggers me back to the previous situation.
As others have said though you are safe during this and you can try to calm yourself when it happens, now that you know what it is.

I have similar dreams when im unhappy with my living situation.

The most recent one was, i thought i was back in high school and my teacher, principle were telling me i couldnt leave. I was very angry as i felt like i had some where important to be, and they just wouldnt let me leave. So i fought my principle and hoped into my car and he was chasing me all over town.

Melatonin produces INSANE dreams.

Try some ginkgo biloba for clarity of thought during dreams. Valerian & hops can produce a mellow healthy sleep, though they do little for actual insomnia. Hops are considered optimal for night terror or bad dreams. A small glass of heineken before bed helps me. That & the occational handful of calms pills.

They're called hypnagogic hallucinations. really scary when they occur. but yea, nothing to worry bout